Post by ProBoards Help Guide on Jul 7, 2016 11:29:22 GMT -8
Preventing Forum Content Deletion
ProBoards Policy on Content Deletion
At this time ProBoards does not offer restoration for user deleted content. Content lost due to system related issues is eligible for restoration.
Preventing Accidental User Deleted Content:
It is impossible to delete content without encountering a built-in safeguard. There are 3 levels of safeguards depending on the severity of the deletion:
- A popup message asking if you are sure you wish to delete the item.
- A popup message requiring you to type in the word “delete”.
- A popup message requiring you to type in the word “delete” AND checking a box acknowledging that the deletion is unrecoverable.
Build Your Own Safeguards
By implementing the following you can minimize accidental and purposeful deletion of forum content.
- Never share accounts or account login information.
- Never add or promote a member just for the sake of helping you with an administrative task or support related issue.
- Never add a member that solicits for a moderator or staff position. You should develop a policy on how moderator and staff positions are filled.
- Do not give deletion permissions to any member or staff.
- Create a hidden board that moderators and assigned managers of your forum should use to move any threads or posts to for review by you prior to deletion. Utilize this board yourself by moving unwanted threads and posts, and then give them a second review before deleting.
- Create a hidden holding or archive category that you can move boards to rather than deleting them.
- Export a copy of your themes and save to your computer.
- Consider leaving the following Member Group Powers permissions set to NO:
- Threads, Posts, and Shoutbox section
- Admin Area section
- Categories and Boards
- Custom Pages
- Custom Fields
- Security Log
- Manage Attachments
- Critical Powers section
- Member Groups
- Custom Domains
- File Storage
- Delete Members
- Delete Staff
- Forum Clean-Up
The above recommendations are not a guarantee as there is no way to account for every possible situation. However with some careful planning your forum’s content should be safe from accidental loss.