Coding Help Board Rules
Plugins Request Board Rules
The Plugins Request Board is governed by the rules of this forum AND by the board specific rules listed below:
Plugins Request is a board for requesting a plugin to be developed by a volunteer member. Since the coders are volunteers, remain patient for your request to be addressed.
You may bump your thread once every 24 hours, however if you have additional information to add, you should modify your last post.
Board Specific Rules:
- Prior to making a request, check the plugin database and the currently open request threads first.
- Make only one plugin request per thread.
- No more than 3 open requests at a time.
- Plugin requests should be for a desired task and not a laundry list of functions you would like to see as a plugin.
- If you no longer need the plugin, make a post in your thread stating you no longer need assistance.
Submitting a Request:
Include all relevant information:
- Use a descriptive thread title (generally the purpose of the plugin)
- A forum URL
- Clear description of what the plugin is supposed to do and/or what is achieved by using the plugin.
- Include any pictures or links that help describe the function of the plugin’s purpose.
Things to Consider Prior to Making Your Request:
Is the plugin you're requesting useful for every forum on ProBoards or just your own?
Even if you have a super cool plugin idea, plugins can take a long time to create depending on the complexity of the request. Whether or not the plugin will be widely used may be a factor in whether or not your request is accepted.
Plugins do not securely hide content that exists on the page beforehand.
If you're looking for a plugin to restrict an existing forum feature or hide something that exists on the forum by default you'll want to take this into consideration. Plugins run after the page content loads and cannot modify the output of the page before it's received from the server. A plugin can hide an element on the page but that's not going to make the element inaccessible as the element still exists on the page so it's very much possible to circumvent the restriction put in place by the plugin. This isn't meant to outright discourage you from requesting this type of plugin, but rather to let you know beforehand that they don't actually hide your content in case you wonder one day why your users are suddenly able to bypass your plugin's restrictions.
Plugins can only access data that is on the page you're currently viewing.
This means that a plugin cannot reach into the forum's database to display data that doesn't already exist on the page. If data exists in the source of the page you're viewing the plugin can find it, but if something only exists on one page and you want it to instead show on every page you're unfortunately out of luck.
Plugins do not load on the mobile version of the forum.
This is so that plugins containing much more bandwidth-intensive material do not consume as much of the data available on users' mobile plans. If your forum is going to run in a way that is dependent on a plugin's functionality working during every post you may want to consider this before requesting that plugin's creation.
Graphic Design Request Board Rules
The Graphic Design Request Board is governed by the rules of this forum AND by the board specific rules listed below:
The Graphics Design Request Board is the place where members can request a graphic for use on their forum. Requests are filled by other members. This is a peer board - requests are not filled by ProBoards directly.
You may bump once every 24 hours. You may add additional information by modifying your original post; or if you choose to add a post to your thread you must wait the allotted 24 hours and that post will count as your bump.
Board Specific Rules:
- All posts/threads on this board need to be relevant to the purpose of this board.
- If you have a design forum or a forum with a graphics request board, you may post a request but your graphics request board must be open to guests. Since you should be able to design your own graphics, such requests may not be a priority. We will leave it to the discretion of the graphic artists as to whether they fill your request.
- Theme Requests and Template Requests each have their own board and should not be made here.
- ProBoards Forums Only - Any requests for rival forums or for websites will be locked or deleted. Forums.net forums are eligible.
- Forum URL must be provided in original post.
- Forums need to be open to view and maintenance mode needs to be switched off.
- Only 4 requests per person/forum may be made in one week. This means 7 days from the time you make your first request. Any more will be locked. Do NOT create multiple accounts to try to get around this rule.
- Do not make more than one topic for the same request - your duplicate will be locked.
- DO NOT, under any circumstances, delete your first post!
- Please remember that this service is provided for free and on a volunteer basis.
Making a Request:
- Provide as much detail as you can when making a request. That includes supplying pictures, hex colors, and a link to a free font. This will ensure that your request is completed in a timely manner.
- If/when your request is filled, be sure to rehost the image(s) yourself. Do not expect the person who filled your request to host the images for you. It's always best to save and rehost, in the off chance that a person's host goes offline or they delete the images from their hosting. If you don't know what rehosting means or would like instructions on how to go about it, feel free to PM Scott.
- If your graphic request has been filled then please put [FILLED] or just [F] in your thread title. This will help those filling requests to see which requests have already been taken care of and let staff see that the thread can now be locked.
- Do not send PMs to staff members or even regular members asking them to do your request unless they specifically ask you to or have a note in there profile telling people they can be PM'd for requests.
- If you want any pictures used in the graphic you are requesting, they will need to be supplied by the requester.
- Do NOT steal images from other forums, etc. and request that alterations be made to them.
- If you have permission to use someone else’s images then proof needs to be provided or the request will be denied.
- Do NOT submit images that are copyrighted for use. Just because an image can be web searched does not mean that it is necessarily free for use.
Filling a Request:
- While volunteering your time to respond to a request is appreciated, please do not fulfill a request if the requester/request is not in align with the rules. Please do not mini-mod the request, just use the Report Post feature and a moderator with review the request.
- When filling a request please post the image (using IMG tags) and post the link to the image unless the size of the image is larger than 500x250 pixels. In that case, please post the link only.
- When filling a gradient request, if a specific size is not asked for, please do not create 1 pixel wide gradients. Make them at least 20-30 pixels wide so that it is easier for the person to save the image as well as preview what the gradient looks like.
- If you see a request that you would like to do and you post a message saying that you will do the request, be sure that you do fill the request in a timely manner. There is no use in posting to say you will fill it if you do not have time to do it.
- If someone else has posted a graphic they made for someone then it is best to wait to see if the requester is satisfied with the graphic first before attempting to fill the request yourself. In the case of two people working on the same request at approximately the same time and both posting images ... that's not a problem. That also applies if you see that someone has attempted to fill a request but the image they posted is nowhere near what the requester asked for.
- DO NOT post a link to your website in your posts when filling a request. Advertising of any kind is only allowed in the Advertisement board and in your signatures. So please keep them there!