Post by Craig on Sept 25, 2006 14:11:28 GMT -8
- List of Contents
Section 1: General Rules
Section 2: Copyright and source citing
Section 3: Signatures and Advertising
Section 4: Polls
Section 5: Attitude towards other members and/or staff
Section 6: Staff impersonation and support
Section 7: Warning levels
Section 8: Member ranks and custom titles
Section 9: Useful Links
Section 10: Reporting a Moderator
Section 11: Post Reporting System
Section 12: Sharing your Personal Information
- Section 1: General Rules
1. Do not post any support related posts. There are specific boards for that.
2. Don't make a post announcing your new wonderful post count or asking for a custom title. Once you have 5,000 posts. PM one of the Staff Members with the custom title you would like.
3. Participants may not use the forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind. This includes promotion of PB forums.
4. Don't post pictures you made and ask for people to rate/comment on them. To discuss about graphics, please go over to the graphics discussion board, by clicking here.
5. Don't post misleading subjects. Make the subject of your thread relevant to your topic.
6. Do not reply to obvious spam threads. Spam is considered any thread that lacks any point of discussion or is inappropriate to be discussed at ProBoards. If the first post should never have been made, then replies to it are considered as spam.
7. Do not create a thread saying you are leaving, you are back, or that you love peanut butter.
8. Do not post any 'I'm Bored' threads, there are plenty of other topics for you to post in, or maybe even consider reading a book, or catching up with the sun.
9. Do not create threads where the subject at hand is already being discussed
10. No "word games" or any threads which result in many just 1 or 2 word replies at fast intervals
11. Staff may lock a thread at any time for any reason. If the reason is not obvious, a justification post will be made to explain the action. Do not make threads about locked threads.
12. Do not post any material that may cause distress to others, this includes flashing images (triggers epilepsy), and 'screamers' (images that suddely change to a screaming face)
- Section 2: Copyright and source citing
1.Due to copyright issues and general confusion it is now advised that quoting large sections of someone else's work, news... is not permitted here.
Please provide a link to the article and if need be a brief extract of that story.
2. Any thread that purports to be based on historical fact yet has no widely known information or has no credible sources will be considered spam and locked. This will mean that they are locked after a page or less of replies if there is no sources or credibility provided.
Example:Square Enix today announced an official North American release date for Dragon Quest VIII
- Section 3: Signatures and Advertising
1. Personal banners and signature areas (in the event of text) should, whenever possible, be kept under the size of 500 x 300 (width: 500 pixels, height: 300 pixels).
Please follow this guideline and consider those with a smaller screen resolution when adding an image to your signature.
Should the size of the signature exceed that, you might be asked to change or remove it.
2. Logical size of the signature should not exceed 300KB.
3. When signing your post, please don't do it as a link, you have plenty of space in your signature area and in your profile for links.
4. Avatars should be kept under 75KB in logical size.
Click here for a useful screen ruler
6. Out of consideration to those with epilepsy, flashing avatars and signatures are not allowed.
7. Do not post affiliate links here. They are unwelcome and you will receive a warning for posting them.
8. General advertising is not allowed anywhere on the forum, with the obvious exception of the advertising board, where you can advertise your ProBoard forum exclusively.
9. Do not use banners that display IP's, while they seem to be a novelty, we don't know what the banner hosts do with the information they collect.
- Section 4: Polls
1. Polls must have at least 2 choices.
2. When making your poll, be sure to promote discussion, to back up the choice they made (why did they choose that option).
3. The poll starter should post their choice and why.
4. Think carefully before posting the poll, do some research if needed (don't want to miss an option).
5. No tournaments.
Any poll that does not follow the above guidelines will be locked.
- Section 5: Attitude towards other members and/or staff
1. Posts that belittle other members will not be tolerated.
If someone comes here and asks for help, please give them a sensible answer and point them in the right direction. Do not make fun of them solely because they are new. We were all new one day and we all might have needed help likewise.
2. If you cannot be civil when replying, please do not reply. This is a friendly community.
3. We do not appreciate members belittling derogatory terms that relate to Special Olympics and to those that partake in them.
4. Please do not try to convert anyone to your way of thinking whether it be your internet browser/religion preference/or any other kind of preference or choice. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and should not be made to change theirs because you don't agree with it. If someone does ask for help with anything relating to 'their opinion', then either help them in a friendly way or ignore the thread/post.
- Section 6: Staff impersonation and support
1. At no point in time will a staff member ask you for your password. Administrators of ProBoards.com have global access power and thus do not require your password to log in.
2. There have been several tries of people impersonating staff members, specifically over instant messaging software, such as AIM and MSN. ProBoards, Inc. staff do not offer help through instant messaging software and as such, never ask for help over such a client. Please direct your questions to the support forum, which is the only reliable source of help. Giving out details over an instant messaging program might infringe your security on your forum.
- Section 7: Warning levels
There are 3 levels of warnings per member position currently in effect.
1. New members who haven't yet found the rules, they would usually be reminded of where the rules are, and which one applies.
2. Members with 50+ posts are members who should have found the rules for each board they post in, so would get a percentage on a warning bar.
3. Members with 200+ posts would be more established, so should know better, partly because of the rules, and partly because of their past record. These members would get a higher percentage warning.
Members with a custom title that receive a warning will have the custom title removed. The title can be restored after the warning is gone.
The warning percentage is only visible to staff and the member. Other members cannot see your warning level, unless you have received a written warning for a bigger offense.
Do not post about your warning or your warning level. If you have a question about your warning, PM a mod/gmod.
Warning reductions are not automatic, you need to PM a GMod each month to request one, a reduction will only be done if behaviour has been ok since last increase or reduction.
- Section 8: Member ranks and custom titles
- Member Ranks
Posts Rank Stars 0 New Member 1 200 Junior Member 2 500 Full Member 3 1000 Senior Member 4 2500 Pro Member 5 5000 Veteran 7 10000 Part of the Furniture 8 25000 Portrait on the Wall 10
- Custom Titles
Basically, there are two ways to get a custom title now, and they are as follows:
1. By gaining 5000 posts - When you have 5000 posts, you may PM a staff member and request a custom title, and you should get your custom title inserted into your profile, however, we reserve the right to deny any member a custom title for any reason.
2. You can be offered a custom title, otherwise known as foozlebootz law. If we feel that a member here deserves the right to a custom title, we will offer that member the opportunity to have one. However, I must stress, that this is purely at our discretion, and we will choose the members. If anyone PM's a staff member to request one, this will result in a note being put on the account which may result in a custom title refusal at a later date (see 1).
2. Custom title images: We will not be adding any new images in custom titles, if you currently have images, these will not be removed unless we remove your CT under the warnings rules, in this case, restoration of CT will not include the images.
- Section 9: Useful Links
Terms of Service
ToS violation report
- Section 10: Reporting a Moderator
I feel that a moderator has acted unfairly. What can I do?
If you feel that a moderator has taken inappropriate action, there is a set procedure you can take to resolve this issue. Creating a thread about the problem in public is not the proper procedure and will result in the thread being locked, and a warning increase for established members who should know the rules.
1) Send a PM to the moderator that you believe has acted unfairly. State your case in clear, polite terms. See if you can resolve the issue with this moderator first. If you do not know which moderator to message, you can send your message to any moderator who is online.
2) If you can not resolve the issue with the moderator in question, you may then contact one Global Moderator (Patrick [ASE], Sossity, BEAST, or woop) to state your case. Your complaint will be posted on the staff only board for review by other staff members. Once a final decision has been made regarding the situation, you will be informed via PM.
3) If you have a complaint regarding the actions or decisions of a Global Moderator, you can send those complaints to Patrick. As with the other messages, please be clear and to the point.
- Section 11: Post Reporting System
In the event that you see a post you think breaks a rule or could be offensive/distasteful, look to the bottom right of the member's post next to 'Link to Post' and click 'Report to Mod.
Be sure to include a valid reason for your report, even if you think the reason is blatant.
The staff will review each report and, if necessary, you will be contacted to discuss the outcome or for additional details.
Please refrain from using the report feature unless you think it is an actual infraction.
Repeated reports without proper justification or any abuse of the system may result in a warning or loss of privileges
- Section 12: Sharing your Personal Information
Please be sure to be careful when sharing your personal information online.
This is a forum, and as such has many members from all over the world. If you are under 18, you should not share your personal information with anyone without the permission of your parents. Even if you are 18 or older, please be careful with who you share your personal information with.